Sunday, February 28, 2010

Therefore what?


In addition to just naming some facts or answering a question, my goal is that each post will answer the question "therefore what?" This means, I will try to apply the topic to everyday life and find out, at least for me, why I should care about this topic, and more importantly, how does it affect the decisions I make and the actions that I do each day. I truly believe that life is made up of the choices that I make every day, every minute, every second. No matter how much I wish that my situation was different, nothing will change that has not been changed in my actions. It is true that there are certain limitations to that statement such as changing my height or a disease I was born with, but for the most part, just wishing life was different, that I was in better shape, that I had more money, or that I understood some topic better, will not change until I do something different. My actions give meaning to my life.

The old saying that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result, for me rings true. In my case, for a long time I wished that I could understand better why my country is involved in so many wars, or what the different arguments are for and against taxes and yet until recently I had not changed anything in my actions to find those answers. Just doing my daily routine over and over again got me the same result, not understanding. I'm ready to stop being insane! Now I have started doing a new action, that is to ask questions, to get answers and to ask more questions. I am finally getting a different result and I find it exhilarating. Therefore, I will continue to seek and learn new things about the world around me in order to understand my scary topics and to form opinions based on truth that will affect how I live my life everyday. Why? Because it makes me happy.

What will you DO today instead of just wishing?

3 comments:

Dee dee said...

What a great idea. I hope that people will come to your site and leave comments or ask questions. I look forward to some very interesting discussions.

Sally said...

Well, I know this isn't as important as war but I have made sort of a similar decision to you. I've wanted for a long time to get into better shape physically but found myself doing the same exercise routine and frustrated that I was getting the same results. So, for the first time I am pushing myself to do things that I thought were too hard or I just didn't want to do and I am finally seeing results. I'm hoping that this will spill over into all the aspects of my life.

Krista Johnson said...

Sweet Sal! That is awesome. I'm only learning about war, not even really doing anything about it so don't think it's all that special yet. Just creating this blog was the action part that was so hard for me because I've never been one to make my opinion public knowledge. Mostly because I didn't know what my opinion was or because I was too embarrassed.